Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The View through a Computer Monitor

Working remotely has been a challenge and a wonderful opportunity, but by necessity requires a lot of time in front of a computer screen for me. Since I have been back in HK, I've been spending a particularly large amount of time behind my computer as I work to finish a couple of projects that require that I remotely work off of my computer which still sits on my desk half a world away. It is hard to believe, but yes, I can log into my work computer and actually move the mouse around, run programs, and essentially work as if I am there. I am told that when doing so, that the computer would appear to any person in my cube as if it were possessed and running itself. Kind of freaky.

So, today, I sat down, logged in, and was generally getting set to do some work when I was struck by something. When I was back in the U.S. I had set the wallpaper (background) on my work computer to a picture of the Hong Kong skyline that Eric took this summer. Being away for several months, I wanted to remember the awe of HK and also Eric (who was still in HK) while I was working.

Desktop

Well, now, working remotely from HK and sitting behind my computer, I am met with the HK skyline, bright and beautiful before me. The irony of sitting inside, staring at a computer that is running another computer on the other side of the world, and seeing a the HK skyline on that computer just tickles me. It reminds me that wherever we are, we should stop to appreciate the beauty of the place and moment. Sometimes as I stare at the computer, I forget to look outside here - at the reality of the picture.

No comments: