Thursday, September 29, 2005

Happy Foot

Sometimes I have experiences that I enjoy so much that I am hesitant to describe or dissect, but here it goes...Happy Foot. Today was a rough day. Got to bed about 1:30 last night woke up at 5. We're super busy getting ready for company, a trip, and I wanted to finish some work things before the end of the day. But enought about that...

Let's just say, after typing for about 12 hours today and finishing up two long documents, I was ready for Happy Foot. Hong Kong has developed a wonderful obsession with foot massage which is so perfectly matched to the environment, I can hardly believe it. For US$22, you can get an hour long foot massage (which includes the calves, knees, and shoulders). Although not private, the experience is superbly relaxing and with little invasion of "private space."

Tonight was my third time going to Happy Foot. The first time I only tipped US$3 and felt stingy. The second time I tipped US$8 and felt too generous. On my visit tonight, I think this was confirmed. I arrived to find a large group of expat ladies exiting. It was a circus. After a few minutes of waiting I reached the counter and was told to wait a few more minutes. But, before I knew it, my previous foot masseur (or happy footist?) came from no where and had claimed me. I was so surprised as I don't know that I've ever actually noticing a tip "paying off."

Laying back in the big comfy chair, it's actually hard not to laugh sometimes, but not because of the sensative touch to the foot, but rather the people. People getting massages have such funny expressions. There will be business men in full suit, pants rolled up, just zonked and relaxing. I saw this especially at lunch time. But tonight, my amusement came from a man in his thirties. Tall and lanky, I looked over to see him seemingly passed out and cuddling two foot dolls. Yes, this grown man was coddling these life-size foot display figures like a little teddy bear. I lay back and closed my eyes only to hear a song that brought back memories - Celine Dion "My Life Will Go On." Now how can I stay quiet and restful with all of these influences?

It's a strange and pampered world we live in sometimes. Thank you, Eric, for working up the courage to get us to Happy Foot. It's a real island of relaxation in this up and down city.

No comments: