Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Safari in the City

Well, I might be overstating it just a little bit, but it is fun to have a functioning zoo right across the street! The Hong Kong Zoo is a winding series of nested spots that allow for a shaded afternoon walk or morning tai chi. It's free, and while similar in some ways to an American zoo, this zoo has a lot less of the really crazy animals and more exotic birds. About the most ferocious occupant are the cheetas, and the most obnoxious occupant would have to be the orangutans. From personal observation and other reports, I can attest to bizarre loud noises being produced for extended periods of time when these guys get aroused. I captured a recording but am not sure how to post.

Edge of Zoo Colorful

Looking up from the park gives you a perspective on its elevation, natural beauty, and city beauty.

Our Building

Here I captured the view down to our building. You can't actually see our apartment in this photo because we are on the 4th floor, but you can get a context for the neighborhood.

Zoo School Group

Schools in Hong Kong often are in session on Saturdays. I found myself accompanied by several different groups on my Saturday morning stroll.

Zoo Bird

And it wouldn't be a post on the zoo if I didn't get at least one photo of an animal in. All the cages are open wire mesh like this which makes for nice viewing.

No comments: