Sunday, March 06, 2005

To bird or not to bird?

Birds in Asia haven't exactly been getting the best rap lately, have they? Anybody read any scary stories? I've read plenty, and I am plenty scared. But with that said, let me say that I love birds. They can be beautiful and peaceful companions on a quiet morning or lazy afternoon. They remind us of our inabilities and the beauty of nature at the same time. To bird or not to bird, that was yesterday's question.

I chose to bird. Now, I am not talking about going down to the local market and picking up whatever fresh kill they had and have a little chicken tartar. No, I am talking about a walk through the Hong Kong Park Aviary. While it's very difficult to fully capture the impressive nature of this locale, I will try. The Aviary is located on the outskirts of Hong Kong Park, which itself lies in the middle of the city. It is the creation of an elaborate canopy of metal mesh and arching metal cables, all of which quietly and serenely create a bird sanctuary that meshes seamlessly with the surrounding park. Air and light flow in and out with no problem. Here are the views from above and outside of the Aviary:

Aviary Above

Aviary Outside

You enter and exit the Aviary through an oddly sterile means, passing through an almost waterfall of plastic chains. This little boy was as fascinated by them as I was.

Aviary Kid

Inside you pass through the canopy on an elevated walkway that zigs and zags to provide cozy areas for viewing above and below.

Aviary 7

And of course, there are the birds.

Aviary 5

Aviary 6

It's an impressive structure for its function and its architectural merits. It's a must see on a beautiful morning.

Aviary 4

No comments: