Thursday, March 03, 2005

Is it a bad sign...

...when you can't feel your toes, the end of your nose, or parts of your thighs? It's cold, but not like a Chicago cold. It's a relentlessly persistent cold that is made worse because you think you are living in a tropical environment kind of cold. It's a cold where you start to doubt your sanity and where you begin to have an appreciation for all of those warm clothes drives that you haven't donated to but meant to kind of cold. Did I mention that I'm cold? Most Hong Kong apartments don't have central heat just like Minnesota apartments don't have central air. In theory, both environments exist far enough to the extremes of our earth's climates as to be safe from need of human technological intervention. Did I mention that I'm cold? I find myself stopping by the dehumidifier just to catch a little bit of the exhaust heat. Did I mention that I'm cold? I've been wearing so many socks a day that we've almost exhausted our supply. My max so far is three pairs. Did I mention that I'm cold? It's actually significantly warmer outside that it is inside. The buildings are made of concrete. All the walls. They just hold it all in. Yesterday I wore my winter jacket around the apartment all day and almost put on gloves. If I could type with gloves on I would have. Did I mention I'm cold?

2 comments:

lee kyung-sook said...

i feel your pain. today (friday) is supposed to be colder than yesterday. :(

E.J. said...

And this weekend is supposed to be even colder.