Thursday, September 09, 2010

From Formula to Film...A Few Things I Miss

I know I am spoiled.  I get it.  I am American and I’ll never totally understand all the ways in which this privilege plays its way out everyday of my life.  But I really miss some of the things I took for granted in everyday life back in Chicago – what I considered little things are apparently luxuries.

  • Instant baby formula.  Who knew that only in the U.S. could you get baby formula that doesn’t require you to boil the water?  Our search in Spain has come up empty so far so yesterday Dorothy transitioned to her new Spanish formula and we are now starting the kettle several times a day.  D grew well on the instant mix! 
  • Movies and TV. If I were consuming Spanish language films and TV, I’d be in heaven, but sadly I am nowhere near that state. And apparently every popular website for content viewing in the U.S. is protected so only certain IP addresses can access – screening you out if coming from outside the U.S.  IT is advancing, as this wasn’t the case when we lived in HK only 5 years ago.
  • Dry cleaners. Definitely wouldn’t have predicted how hard it’s been to find a dry cleaner.  Madridians are crazy fashionable and everything is pressed.  I think they must iron at home all the time.  It’s insane.  And the dry cleaners we’ve found are insanely expense – more than $5/shirt.  

It goes without saying…friends, family, and all our loved ones back home – we miss you the most!  These are all minor material things or conveniences, which makes it funny.

No comments: