Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Trekie in Hong Kong

At about 11:30 today, I sat down in front of the Hong Kong public library for a moment of sunshine and nibbling before entering the strict no-food confines of the public building. About halfway through my Pret-a-Manger sandwich, someone actually came and sat down across from me with the intent of talking! HK is such a business environment most of the time, this bold move of human exchange took me by surprise.

HKPublicLibrary
The HK Public Library

Peter is a HK native that studied for a while in Boston, although he said he played too much chess and ended up dropping out. I think I appeared to be a good opportunity for him to practice his English. Now, Peter is unemployed and waiting to start a technical school in April where he will study computer graphic design. As a 35+ person who has been out of the school environment for several years, he seemed fairly nervous about the year of study that awaited him but was anxious for further employment. Unemployment is something that you don't see often in HK. Although the rates are not much better than the US, homelessness and other visual signs of unemployment are much less apparent. This comes likely because the government provides fairly good assistance for many and homes for seemingly all. To meet and talk with Peter came only about 20 minutes after I saw my first "bag lady" in HK. With an American sized shopping cart, she was sitting in Victoria Park enjoying some sun.

Peter and I seemed to share many interests, but math, chess, and Star Trek were the ones that seemed to resonate with him. For me, math and chess are intricately linked as I learned to play and was most practiced in chess while in Math Club in high school. Eric forever laughs at me being Math Club President, but hey, it was fun. Growing up, I was also a large Star Trek: the Next Generation fan, watching weekly with my dad for years. Chess and Star Trek have long since left my daily routine, but who knows what the future may bring. Peter invited me to join a chess tournament that happens every Thursday at 6:30pm in Wan Chai. This qualifier for HK's official chess championship may be a possible stepping point to a renewed interest.

No comments: