Saturday, February 25, 2006

Sounds

It strikes me today how for granted I take the sounds that place me in an environment or make me feel separated from it. It's the subtle things that can tie together a global life or make one feel disconnected from reality.

Surprisingly comforting. The murmur of announcements in a language I don't understand. The melodic, consistent music at Starbucks that brings together my breakfast routine across the world. The campanile on the church across the street which strikes out tunes like the bell tower on campus at the University of Kansas. Ding, ding, ding, strikes the hour of noon on Saturday. The honking of cab horns and low murmur of city life.

Surprisingly foreign. The barking of a large dog. A taped interview with President Bush. The same campanile, playing "Amazing Grace."

No comments: