Wednesday, February 23, 2005

It's Marco Polo

ExplorerEJ

What's that? A ship I see in the distance?

Ship

I am glad we were able to create a false sense of history in these couple of shots of Stanley. Doesn't it look like what you'd expect to see in Hong Kong? Well, in reality, boats like these and small temples are not very common in modern Hong Kong by any means. Thus far we have seen many more huge tankers or small sailing ships than more traditional vessels.

The temple which we were able to visit in Stanley was very quaint but moving. I've got some more information on that which I will try to add in a later post.
Temple Up

We visited Stanley on the Saturday of Chinese New Year week. All the children in Hong Kong and China were on vacation around Chinese New Year much like US children get a spring break. On this particular Saturday, a large group of children spent their day entertaining a crowd of probably 500 with what I can only assume were traditional folk activities. Seeing as we understand absolutely no Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), I say this based upon the images I have seen before of Chinese dragons and dragon dancing. One of my friends here was telling me that their apartment complex went so far as to schedule dragon dances for each flat so that the occupants would be brought good luck.

Dragon

Ship in the Harbor - big

1 comment:

lee kyung-sook said...

yup, it's true, big developments schedule lion dances (and i still don't get why it's called a lion dance when it's a dragon) but they did that in our complex. woke me up two days in a row (see my blog post on that one). you will learn hk people are very superstitious and believe in many traditions, some of them quite odd.