Saturday, February 19, 2005

Isn't Anything "PUBLIC"?

Living in Hong Kong involves great amounts of walking, sweating, and thus water drinking. From my experience, pedestrians quickly determine places in the city that provide public restrooms. Most malls and other public destinations take great care to provide facilities that are clean for their patrons. I've even been to a few restrooms where I was greeted by an attendant whose full time job it was to sit in the restroom, hold the door open, and to keep everything stocked and clean. That was a little bit much.

But I've seen a few startling signs that there may be an emerging public restroom shortage in Hong Kong:

1) lack of respect for personal space at urinals, and

2) "naming right" opportunities for public restrooms.

While I have yet to fiture out a way to accurately depict item #1, just trust me. I didn't know it was possible to fit 6 urinals into a space that was roughly 6' by 6' but they've done it here. The second item I was able to capture, at great personal peril. Just imagine me, in a public restroom, covertly taking snapshots, and someone emerging from one of the stalls which I was photographing. It could have gotten ugly.

A close-up...

Close

And the full picture...

Urinals

1 comment:

lee kyung-sook said...

ok, if you can post your pics of the urinal i can post my pic of the squat toilet!!!