Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Elephant Adventure

E.J. on Elephant

Traveling in developing countries can be moralistically confusing sometimes. In this case, we were presented with the opportunity to ride an elephant on the last day of our visit to Thailand. We were traveling with a large tour group, and one of the stops offered optional elephant rides for an additional cost. Knowing that riding an elephant is not something that I would typically do, I decided to jump at the chance. To my surprise, only two of us out of a group larger than 30 did so - myself and a friend we made on the tour - Cynthia.

I had heard before of the plight of the elephant and was generally aware of the poor conditions reported, but since we've returned, I have seen a new story in National Geographic that really chronicles problems with elephants in Thailand specifically. I think most people would have expeted the decision whether to ride to come down to one of saftey, but in the moment and that particular situation, I was not worried about my safety. I was concerned with the elephant guide's large hook used for control and the random use of vegitation for feeding the animals along our route. The elephants of Thailand are in a difficult position. They're essentially unemployed and the only work that can be found is serving tourists like I was. So, what is worse, being the tourist that pays money to ride an elephant or just passing them by. I guess, in hindsite, the best thing that could have been done was to visit some sort of a sanctuary and offer a donation there.

In the moment, and for the moment, I was and am content with my decision. It gave me a perspective that I never would have gotten without riding. I now feel more like a friend to the elephant than I would have felt if I'd passed by and will do my best to be supportive of elephant rights in the future.