Thursday, January 27, 2011

Artesanal

There is something magical in the concept of "local."  We travel the world to find the local...the things we haven't seen...the things which only other people know.  And anymore when you travel the world you are often told - boldly - that something is local.  Subtly is gone.

Here in Spain the term of choice seems to be "artesanal."  I've seen it on everything from tomato puree (a Spanish favorite for morning bread instead of jelly) to "patatas fritas" (yes, that's potato chips).  At first I didn't think they really had normal potato chips here (everything was ham flavored) but then I realized I'd just been missing them because it was in a huge "local" section.  My other favorite artesanal is a jar of "dulche de leche" that we bought this holiday season.  Something about the stamp "artesanal" makes it seem healthier when I am slathering it on a piece of toast alongside my Nutella.  Too bad I think it's straight sugar, basically carmel.  Kind of like buying sugary things at the farmer's market or a freshly made lemonade at local craft fair seems not indulgent but rather supportive.



I love eating local...at least when it doesn't involve seafood, live animals, or something that's been rotting for months on-end.

No comments: