Saturday, October 16, 2010

Baby + Ruth

We have been blessed with a wonderful nanny in Dorothy’s life these past six or so months – Kate.  She’s probably ruined all other nannies for us as she’s very caring, independent, and smart and has great intuition and instincts.  But happily for Kate, she has a life to live in Chicago…

So enter Ruth.  Ruth is Dorothy’s new nanny.  She started on the 20th of September.  She is Honduran and has lived in Spain for about 5 years.  She’s in her late 20s and seems a very curious, gentle, and hard-working woman.  She is trying very hard to improve her English and to help us with our Spanish as we navigate the new terrain of caring for Dorothy and finishing settling in here in Madrid.

Different from our situation in the U.S., Ruth is living in our home.  She has a separate apartment with a quasi-separate entrance and everything.  It’s good for us as we get some additional flexibility and good for Ruth that she doesn’t need to maintain another place (although she does, at least temporarily).  But I have to say Ruth’s living with us has been more of a stress than I expected during this adjustment period.  Like any new arrangement there is some stress, and we don’t always get along.  I think we are seeing how much harder it is to get past some of that when you are staying in the same household.  But, I think we might be getting past the worst of that as the last week has been improving.

As for the language barriers, there is no doubt that Ruth is helping me with my Spanish, if for no other reason than the fact that she forces me to use Spanish more frequently than I would otherwise.  I have basically lost all my hesitancy in speaking and will now blabber on, very incorrectly, to store clerks, doctors, etc.  Ruth’s English also seems to be improving some but she still reports understanding me better in English than in Spanish (sad).  She’s making attempts to read Dorothy’s English kid books, if with a bit of a struggle.  I’d say she’s using English about a quarter of the time and exposing Dorothy to Spanish the rest of the time.  This was part of what we hoped for Dorothy so we’ll see how her language continues to develop.  So far Dorothy isn’t using many other words besides dada, but she’s very verbal and trying out many sounds and mimics often.

It’s funny to have someone in our lives named Ruth because that was the name of one of my great aunts.  Dorothy actually gets her middle name, May, from one of my other great aunts.  Eric said that the Ruth is about as foreign sounding a name as you can get in Spanish, as the language doesn’t really contain the right sounds to make it.  That’s somehow appropriate, as Ruth still has no idea what my name is.  She thinks of me as Eric 1 and Eric as Eric 2.  We have gone over and over “E.J.” but to her it just doesn’t work.  For a while she was calling me Ethan, which seemed about as close in pronunciation as she could get.  I’d like for her to eventually be able to say my desired name but for now it’s not much of a stress.  One of Dorothy’s younger “adoption cousins” (group of six families who adopted through our agency at the same time) is Ethan so I like thinking about Jill, Ross, and Ethan when incorrectly referenced.

No comments: