Saturday, December 10, 2005

Frosty Morning Bike Ride

I am back in Kansas City currently and Eric is to return shortly. On Thursday we were hit with a heavy snow storm that has made the task of getting around without a car more difficult than I thought. Luckily, I have some really great friends that have offered rides without guilt thus far.

As I sat as Starbucks, enjoying the serenity of the scene and sipping away the frustration that could have built from waking at the absurdly early time of 4 am, I was surprised by another early morning adventurer. There amongst the 8 inches of snow that was quickly being piled into 8 foot piles by the Plaza's snow removal crews was a bundled man on a mountain bike. At first glance, he appeared only an odd commuter, but then he did a seemingly unexpected thing. He took dead aim at one of the snow piles. 20 feet, 10 feet, 5 feet and he was accelerating. With contact, Flipping Fred, as I think I shall call him, sailed over the handle bars, doing a backflip and landed safely in the snow.

I promise that my lack of sleep did not contribute to the unexpected nature of this extreme sport. Snow flipping on the Plaza at 5:45 am. Who would have guessed?

No comments: